What are the central issues in this book?
- Following God vs. Moloch/Asherah
- Life vs. Death
- Israel/Judah culture vs. Sidon/Phoenicia culture
- Israelis vs. Sidonians
This Issue —
- Who cares about it?
- What would he do about it next year? in ten years?
- What would happen if all of society embraced this?
- What would happen if all of society rejected this?
- Who would it hurt the most?
- What’s the worst thing that could happen to Elijah??
- ….to Ahab?
- Ego? Looks? Lust? Career? Enemies? Success?
- What is Javert’s obsesion in Les Miserables? Duty drives him to fanaticism and death.
- Ahab in Moby Dick? A big, white whale.
- Everyone in Maltese Falcon? black bird.
- Gone with Wind – Rhett with Scarlet. Scarlett with Ashley.
- What is Elijah’s obsession?
- What is Ahab’s obsession?
- Visualize a climactic scene in the theater of your mind.
- Hear music to go with it.
- Let the full range of emotions burst forth.
- Add characters as you will to heighten conflict.
- Play around with the variations on this theme until something unforgettable happens.
- Who are the characters?
- What circumstances brought them here?
- How can I trace back the story to its logical starting point?
This socko ending can be the compass for this story.
- What’s the big idea of this book? What would go on the cover to attract someone in the bookstore?
- Where else might this story be set?
Big enough to grab readers of every age?
- How can I make this story bigger?
Add an element?
- What? to make it more interesting?